Saturday, December 31, 2011

Mud Room Transformation

We moved into our home more then a year ago now and it has been on our to-do-list to create a more functional mud room from the beginning, and now that winter is officially here we finally made time for it.

The total cost of this project was $554, that included all materials and storage bins.

The Finished Mud Room
The room before renovating

I am a big fan of Pinterest and I spend a lot of time researching other peoples projects before deciding one one that would fit our room. Here are some images of my inspiration:




In order to create this mudroom we used:

2x IKEA Expedit bookcases ($69.99 each)
1x IKEA Wall storage cabinet 13"D x 15"H x 36"L ($120)
1x IKEA Skar Shoe storage bin ($79.99)
2x IKEA Expedit bookcase drawer inserts ($40.00 each)
4x IKEA white bins ($6.99 each)
1x Wall panel from Lowes cut to our dimensions ($40.00)
4x Hooks (about $5.00 each)
1x Wood board and moulding cut in our dimensions for hook rack ($10.00)
White paint (use something durable such as trim paint)
2x 3" foam for bench seat ($8 each)
2 meters of fabric ($20) - I got way to much, could have settled for half.
Total cost: $554.00


To make this project we measured our room and decided on our design, I originally wanted 4 bookcases to represent one for each family member but we didn't have enough room for that so I settled for a shoe bin instead and two bookcases and instead we each have our own bin for hats and gloves etc, a room for our bag and a drawer each, and of course a hook for the jacket. 

Custom Hook Rack
We made our own custom hook rack as we couldn't find one in the dimensions we needed (36" same as the bench width). To make it we nailed a thin trim to a wooden board (top and bottom) and painted it with two coats of trim white. We screwed the board to the wall panel before painting it. The hooks were attached when the paint was dry. 


Bench Pillow
To make the bench pillow I had to put my sewing skills to the test as the most I have ever made before this was a simple pillowcase, but I knew I wanted something a little more professional looking. 
I found a great tutorial, again on Pinterest, and just left out the piping. Here is the link to the tutorial. 

Basically you cut out the top and bottom piece of fabric and sew it together with 4 sides, sounds easy enough but it took me more then 5 hours to do. I finished the back side with velcro so that I can take it off and wash it. One piece of advice if you want to use velcro stay away from the sticky kind as it is almost impossible to sew through, the needle becomes sticky and doesn't stitch, and if you don't secure it down with thread it will loosen in a day or so. 

I still want to add a bit more color to my mudroom so I'm thinking about changing up the white bins with something a little more colourful at a later time. I also want to add an organization board and mirror on the opposite wall, so maybe that will be my next project.  


So that includes my first ever home renovation blog entry, hope you liked it:) If you have any questions put them in the comments below and I'll be happy to answer them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated