Friday, March 16, 2012

Skirt, Hat tutorial and flower power dress

It has been a busy couple of weeks trying out new sewing projects found on Pinterest. Not sure what I did with my time before discovering Pinterest, but I know my house was a heck of a lot cleaner! At least my girls are dressed in style and are ready for Spring that will be arriving very very soon.

So have a look at the projects below and click on the link to find the amazing people who offered these great tutorials.

Funky Summer Skirt Tutorial:

http://www.danamadeit.com/2012/03/tutorial-the-layered-skirt.html



I though mine turned out pretty well, but I must admit that I was not a fan of the process of making this one. I think next time I will create the skirt first and then add the ruffles afterwards rather then making up the 3 different layers of band and ruffle  and then connecting them, as the tutorial calls for.


Summer hat made to fit Tutorial

Okay so this one I don't have a link for but it is such an easy and quick sew that anyone can do it, I will take pictures next time I do the hat and attach it to this following tutorial for a visual.


1. Start with about 1/2 yard of fabric, you may be able to get away with a fat quater pending on your childs head size.

2. Measure head, my daughters was 17 inch, add 2 inches to that and cut a strip of fabric about 3 inches wide (or how ever wide you want the hat).

3. French seam the stip of fabric - click here for tutorial on french seam

4. Find a bowl that fits on top of your kids head and use it to trace on the fabric, cut the circle and attach it to the hat.

5. Cut another strip of fabric at least 0.5 times as large as your childs head (so 17 x 0.5 = 25.5 inch), the longer the band the more ruffled it will be. Before attaching this strip either serge the edge or hem it, I hemmed it. Then attach to the hat in equal ruffle parts.

6. Your done, go try it out and enjoy.








Ballet Skirt


My oldest daughter had her 1st ballet recital and even though proper attire was not required I decided to make her a ballet skirt as she was the only one without one up until then. It turned out a little longer then I wanted it, but I can always re-hem it later, for now it will do and most importantly she really loves it. 




Dress for Sale - Size 2-3 T


I made this dress with the intention of selling it, I personally think it turned out great, it is my own design and I'm pretty proud of it. I have every intention to sell it, but just haven't gotten around to post it anywhere yet, and not sure if I ever will. I'm thinking Etsy as I already have a store on there for my children's art. I do find that its hard with the competition out there. There are so many super talented people with great stuff on Etsy but really how to you price these things? The amount of work that goes into it would make it a $150 dollar dress but I'll be lucky to get $30. So I guess my question is this, what would you pay for a homemade dress when you can go to any store and pick out an equally cute dress for less then $20 bucks. Put your answer in the comments below.

If it never end up selling at least one of my girls will have another cute dress for their growing collection.






I was fooling around with Picasa's new image settings and found these fun ones to apply to the images



2 comments:

Feedback is always appreciated