Friday, March 30, 2012

Tie tutorial just in time for Easter


It is almost Easter and I have been busy making matching dresses for my girls. They turned out great and I even made myself a fun little shirt in the same fabric to go with the theme, but with all of us girls matching what about daddy for Easter?... So I though a tie for him would be perfect to go with our cute outfits. I searched online for tutorials and came across a couple of boys tie tutorials but I knew I wanted something a little more clean looking and adult sized. I decided to take one of my husbands tie's and start from scratch. Here is my tutorial to share with anyone interested:


What you need:

  • 1/2 yard of fabric (maybe less) pending on how you cut it
  • Interfacing - I used medium fusible but would chose heavy weight next time
  • A lining or coordinating fabric for the back (you can use the same fabric but its a nice touch to add a different fabric)
  • Normal sewing items

Make your pattern:
I want to offer this super easy pattern to download but my printer/scanner is busted so until I get a new one there is no way I can upload it, so for now I'll just show you how you can make the pattern yourself.

Start by grabbing a tie that you like (Don't mind the ugly christmas tie that I used). Place it down on a piece of paper, I used two that I connected with tape. Use your ruler and draw all the angles of the tie.


Next measure the width of the backside of the tie and add this measurement to your pattern (as if it was unfolded already)

Your pattern should look something like this now (sorry its not easier to see)



Next add your seem allowance. I used 5/8" but if you want to use 0.5" thats fine too as long as you know which one you did, a good thing is to note this down on your pattern so you don't forget for next time you want to make it.


Even though you just made a full tie pattern its time to cut it down the middle, this will ensure that both your sides are exactly the same when you cut your fabric. You cut it on the fold om your fabric to make it the same. 


Next step is cutting the fabric for the neck portion (the rest of the tie). So measure your tie, I think mine was 40" from where my pattern left off. Cut a strip of fabric about 4" wide) pending on how thick your tie is. Put this fabric to the side for now.


Now its time to cut the fabric from your pattern. Place the pattern on the fabric and cut it on the fold. 


Your cut fabric should look like this


Next cut your interfacing. Again you can use your pattern, you just use the inner part of your pattern (before adding the backside width and seam allowance). You don't need a seam allowance on the fusible interfacing. 


The last piece of fabric you need to cut is your matching fabric for the backside of the tie, I used a coordinating white fabric and again I was able to use my pattern. Just cut it on the fold using only the bottom portion of the pattern, but cut about 4" up, it should look like the fabric in the right side of the picture. 


Now its time to assemble the tie. Place your tie fabric and coordinating fabric right sides facing, pin it and sew it, only the portion that I pinned in the picture.  Flip it inside out after trimming the edges to remove extra bulk. 


Now you have something like this before pressing it. 


Now press it really nicely and fuse your interfacing to the inside of the tie (inside the little pocked you created). Press the tie sides to line up with the interfacing and open up the tie again (see picture)


Now its time to connect the tie and neck fabric portion, line the two fabrics up together. If you are using fabric with pattern make sure they line up nicely so it does not look too obvious that its two parts connected, don't sew it yet. 



Put the fabrics right sides together and sew, I also did a zig zig stitch for extra strength. 












At this point you should have a really long tie. With the wrong side out place the tie in half and pin it all the way down. Sew the tie with your previously determined stitch allowance.



When done sewing it its finally time to flip over your tie to reveal your result. The easiest way to do this is to attach a safety pin to the one end and guide it through the fabric while slowly pulling the fabric along with it.


And there you have it, the finished tie, press it and enjoy your new creation. The only thing missing is closing up the top end of the tie but you can do that after fitting it on your man to make sure its not too long for him. 





All in all it took me less then an hour to create this including the pattern so its a perfect nap time project.


Oh and here is a picture of the cute Easter dresses I made for my girls, now the whole family is ready for Easter :)


If you have any questions or comments about this projects please post them and I'll be happy to answer them.

Thanks for viewing.

LYDesigns




3 comments:

  1. So cute thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I love your work:) Do you have to treat the tie fabric with anything to make sure it is machine washable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie, as with most ties hand-washing would be best or just spot cleaning it. You could throw it in the washer using a bra bag, cold wash and line dry and then re-press it with an iron when dry. This should produce a nice result and make the tie last for years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated